Have you made a New Year’s resolution? Judging from the number of people at Big Vanilla in the last few days, it seems many of you have updated your fitness goals for 2012. The real question is: how will you stick with your new fitness goals? According to a 2011 poll conducted by the Opinion Corporation of Princeton, New Jersey, New Year’s resolution statistics aren’t so good:
- 62% of people make New Year’s resolutions
- 8% are successful
- 19% achieve resolutions every other year on average
- 49% have infrequent success
- 24% NEVER succeed and have failed on EVERY resolution EVERY year!
That’s 1 in 4 people who fail each and every time they make a resolution! Disturbing statistics, don’t you think? Despite these statistics, with a little hard work you can meet your health fitness goals!
Tips for Meeting Your Fitness Goals from Our Personal Trainers
At Big Vanilla, we want you to be part of the successful 8%! Here are some tips from a few of our certified personal trainers on how to stick with your exercise resolution and meet your health fitness goals for 2012:
Plan for Success in Your Exercise Resolution
- Plan and schedule your workouts at times that are less likely to get altered by work or family commitments. Put your workouts on your calendar and treat them just like you would an appointment. – Steve Rogers
- Pack your workout bag the day before and always make sure you have it with you in your vehicle. This takes away one excuse for not being able to get to the gym. – Steve Rogers
- Write down your goal and how you are going to accomplish it. Write down every little step and change that you need to make for that goal to happen. Make a progress chart with specific dates and goals that you want to have accomplished by those dates. – Randy Kimery
Adjust Your Thinking to Meet Your Fitness Goals
- The New Year is a great time to come up with a goal – but be sure to keep the vision of your goal! Make it believable and create that “picture” in your mind. Once you believe in your goal it gets much easier to stay focused on your workouts. – Jill Williamson
- Avoid thinking in terms of “how long will it take to lose 20 pounds.” Think of the new change as a journey and part of a new lifestyle. Goals are important, but creating endpoints with unrealistic goals is a recipe for failure. Exercise works, and to reach the overall goal of improved fitness and functionality, one must take baby steps. Any other approach will be overwhelming. – Brian Brown
- Don’t play the numbers game and spend time waiting for the number on your bathroom scale to go down. That takes time as your metabolism increases and your body requires more calories due to engaging in an exercise regimen. Instead, give yourself ample time. It took time to put weight on and it will take time to lose it. Pay attention to the way clothes fit as the first sign of success. Supervised exercise programs work but they simply require patience. – Brian Brown
Find Support for Your Fitness Goals
- Share your resolutions with someone (a friend, significant other, a trainer) who can hold you accountable. Share your goals with someone who will help you reach and maintain them, whether by motivation or physically helping you through the hard times. – Robin Yerkes
- Write your goal(s) on post-it notes and stick them in your car, on the bathroom mirror, on the fridge and at work. That way you are always reminded of your goal. It is also helpful to find a fitness or motivational quote and keep it with you at all times. When things get rough, read the quote and it’ll help you get back on track. – Randy Kimery
- Find a friend or family member to workout with. You are more likely to show up for workouts when you are accountable to someone else. – Steve Rogers
Reach Your Fitness Goals at Big Vanilla
At Big Vanilla, we want you to succeed in your exercise resolutions. We have a wide variety of exercise options for you, ranging from swimming pools to sport courts to tennis to group exercise – the list goes on and on! You can reach your health fitness goals this year and even have some fun doing it. Worried your workout will get boring? Not with our extensive amenities! You might even find you enjoy keeping your exercise resolution! So for 2012, make fitness first. Make the time. Meet your fitness goals. We’re here to help. Get your free guest pass to Big Vanilla and start meeting your fitness goals today!